Published Aug 18, 2026Last updated 14 hours ago5 minute readA Cape Breton man who sexually abused his daughters has been sentenced to four years in prison. Photo by DIANE CROCKER /CONTRIBUTEDArticle contentEDITOR’S NOTE: GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNINGTHIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS ONLY.Subscribe now to access this story and more:Unlimited access to the website and appExclusive access to premium content, newsletters and podcastsFull access to the e-Edition app, an electronic replica of the print edition that you can share, download and comment onEnjoy insights and behind-the-scenes analysis from our award-winning journalistsSupport local journalists and the next generation of journalistsSUBSCRIBE TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES.Subscribe or sign in to your account to continue your reading experience.Unlimited access to the website and appExclusive access to premium content, newsletters and podcastsFull access to the e-Edition app, an electronic replica of the print edition that you can share, download and comment onEnjoy insights and behind-the-scenes analysis from our award-winning journalistsSupport local journalists and the next generation of journalistsRegister to unlock more articles.Create an account or sign in to continue your reading experience.Access additional stories every monthShare your thoughts and join the conversation in our commenting communityGet email updates from your favourite authorsSign In or Create an AccountorArticle contentA Cape Breton man who sexually abused his daughters has been sentenced to four years in prison.Article contentArticle contentThe Mi’kmaw man, who cannot be named due to a publication ban, previously pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual assault against the two girls, who are also Indigenous.Article contentHe was sentenced in Nova Scotia Supreme Court in Sydney in May.Article contentArticle contentThe abuse took place in the family home between Jan. 1, 2002, and Jan. 1, 2008, when one daughter was between five and 10 years old, and the other was between five and seven years old.Article contentThe victims, who are now adults, shared a bedroom. They said their father was under the influence of alcohol when he abused them in their bedroom, with the older daughter describing him as “always drunk” and “so different when he is sober.”Article contentShe said her father frequently walked around the home naked and, at times, watched pornography in her and her sister’s presence.Article contentONGOING FEARArticle contentOnly the older daughter filed a victim impact statement.Article contentShe told the court that she continues to suffer mentally, emotionally, and economically as a result of the abuse, stating that the trauma has “ripped away” her “sense of home and community.”Article contentSince reporting the abuse, she said she has been “in and out” of hospital and being hospitalized for suicidal ideation, which she directly attributes to the sexual abuse.Article contentArticle contentShe reported an ongoing fear for both her and her sister’s safety and that of her sister. She describes a profound sense of betrayal, the loss of her family, and the loss of her sense of belonging.Article contentIn his written decision issued July 31, Nova Scotia Supreme Court Justice Shane Russell said both victims “were helpless young children with little ability to understand or escape the violence” at the hands of their father, who was in a position of trust and authority.Article content“As their father, he was entrusted with their care, safety, and protection. He grossly violated that trust and failed in that fundamental responsibility,” Russell wrote, adding that the girls were violated in their bedrooms.Article content“The sexual assaults occurred in the very place where they were entitled to expect the highest degree of safety, security, and privacy.”Article contentRussell added that the father repeatedly entered the bedroom of his daughters and sexually abused them on several occasions.Article content“The sexual abuse was accompanied by grooming behaviour. (The father) exposed both children to pornography, walked naked throughout the family home, and, on one occasion, while naked, asked whether they wished to see his penis. This conduct normalized sexualized behaviour within the home environment,” he wrote, noting that the victims were “very young children” when they were abused.Article content“Both were exceptionally vulnerable given their age and stage of physical, emotional, and psychological development.”Article contentGLADUE FACTORSArticle contentThe Crown was seeking a sentence of seven years in custody for each offence, for a total of 14 years to be served consecutively, calling the offender’s actions “significantly invasive, harm inflicting, and a gross breach of trust.”Article contentBased on the Gladue factors — which are named after a landmark Supreme Court of Canada decision that requires sentencing judges weigh the unique circumstances of Aboriginal offenders to address their overrepresentation in Canada’s justice system — the Crown reduced its recommendation to 12 years, less credit for remand time.Article contentMeanwhile, the father asked for a conditional sentence order of two years less one day, followed by three years of probation, urging the court to give “significant weight” to the Gladue factors present in the case.Article contentRussell said the Crown was seeking an “exceptionally heavy sentence” and that its parity analysis was “fundamentally flawed.”Article contentArticle contentRussell described the offender, who is a residential school survivor in his early 60s, as “not only a broken man but also the son of a broken man.”Article contentIn his summary of the Gladue report, Russell said the man has “experienced the adverse effects of the social and economic conditions that have disproportionately affected Indigenous peoples since colonization.”Article contentHe listed substance abuse; poverty; marital breakdown; unemployment; loss of cultural identity; housing insecurity and family instability; racism; intergenerational impacts from the residential school system; physical, emotional and sexual abuse; social isolation; and significant death and loss among the factors that reduce his moral culpability.Article contentOther mitigating factors that Russell considered in his sentencing decision included the man’s guilty plea, expressed remorse, and commitment to rehabilitation.Article content“These are significant mitigating factors. While neither his plea nor his remorse can undo the harm inflicted upon (the victims), both demonstrate an acceptance of responsibility and some insight into the wrongfulness of his conduct. They represent an important first step toward rehabilitation,” Russell wrote.Article contentArticle content“The guilty plea has also spared (the victims) the burden of testifying and reliving the traumatic events of their childhood in a public courtroom. It has provided certainty of outcome for the victims and the prosecution. It has conserved valuable judicial resources.Article contentRussell also cited multiple aggravating factors, including the fact both victims were children and that he occupied a position of trust and authority as their father.Article content“The offences have had a significant impact on the victims, particularly (the oldest daughter). As detailed in her victim impact statement, (she) continues to experience profound emotional and psychological harm as an adult. The trauma affects many aspects of her daily life, including her sense of safety, educational pursuits, mental health, and sense of home and community. (She) was hospitalized for suicidal ideation.”Article contentRussell noted that the victims are also Indigenous.Article content“In the circumstances of this case, the victims’ inherent vulnerability cannot be understated,” he wrote.Article contentAdditionally, the offender has a prior criminal record that includes convictions for impaired driving, assault, resisting arrest, theft, careless use of a firearm, assaulting a police officer, and sexual assault on an adult victim.Article content“While several convictions, including the 2024 sexual assault conviction, do not constitute a prior record or an aggravating factor in the conventional sense, they remain relevant to his overall criminal history. They demonstrate a recent and continuing pattern of unlawful conduct, including sexual violence related offending,” Russell wrote.Article content‘FAIR EMPHASIS’Article contentAfter weighing all of the factors, Russell initially sentenced the man to three years in federal custody for each sexual assault offence, with the sentences to be served consecutively.Article contentHowever, after taking a “last look” and “placing fair emphasis” on the Criminal Code section instructing judges to consider all available sanctions, other than imprisonment, with particular attention to the circumstances of Aboriginal offenders, Russell reduced the total sentence on both counts to four years.Article contentAfter crediting the man with the time he spent on remand, his total remaining sentence worked out to 49 days.Article contentIn addition to the jail time, the man was ordered to provide a DNA sample and his name will be on the national sexual offender registry for 20 years.Article contentHe also faces a lifetime firearms prohibition and cannot have contact with anyone under age 16 for the next 20 years.Article content
Cape Breton man sentenced for sexually abusing daughters



