In a statement Energy Minister Marco MacLeod’s office, said he accepts full responsibility for the content of song lyrics first recorded in 2013, apologizing for any hurt caused. Photo by Ryan Taplin /The Chronicle HeraldArticle contentEnergy Minister Marco MacLeod issued an apology for lyrics he wrote and recorded over a decade ago. THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS ONLY.Subscribe now to access this story and more:Unlimited access to the website and appExclusive access to premium content, newsletters and podcastsFull access to the e-Edition app, an electronic replica of the print edition that you can share, download and comment onEnjoy insights and behind-the-scenes analysis from our award-winning journalistsSupport local journalists and the next generation of journalistsSUBSCRIBE TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES.Subscribe or sign in to your account to continue your reading experience.Unlimited access to the website and appExclusive access to premium content, newsletters and podcastsFull access to the e-Edition app, an electronic replica of the print edition that you can share, download and comment onEnjoy insights and behind-the-scenes analysis from our award-winning journalistsSupport local journalists and the next generation of journalistsRegister to unlock more articles.Create an account or sign in to continue your reading experience.Access additional stories every monthShare your thoughts and join the conversation in our commenting communityGet email updates from your favourite authorsSign In or Create an AccountorArticle contentHowever, the apology has done little to stop criticism, with opposition politicians and domestic violence advocates in Nova Scotia saying the misogynistic content requires more accountability.Article contentArticle contentFrank magazine first reported on the four songs MacLeod recorded under the name Meadowville. In two of the four, the 37-year-old MLA made reference to things such as cocaine use and performed sexualized language about women; one example is “cocaine in my brain, two sluts in my truck,” from a song titled George Jones. Article contentArticle contentMacleod issued an apology for the songs Saturday, though for some it isn’t enough. Article contentMacLeod’s statement Article contentIn a statement to The Chronicle Herald, MacLeod’s office said he acknowledged that two of the songs contained lyrics harmful to women. Article content“Marco sincerely apologized for his words from 13 years ago,” his office wrote. Article contentThe statement said the songs had been available for streaming since 2013 and the minister never profited from the music. Article content“Although the songs are not autobiographical, he recognizes that intent does not erase the impact of the words chosen,” said the statement. Article contentMacLeod took responsibility for the hurt he caused with his words, and the statement said he is committed to “doing everything he can as a community leader to bring about the change necessary to stop misogyny in all its forms.” Article contentHis office added that the government takes the findings of the Mass Casualty Commission seriously, emphasizing Nova Scotia’s declaration of intimate partner violence as an epidemic. Article contentArticle content“We and Marco respect the important work Adsum does supporting women and families in Nova Scotia.” Article contentArticle contentThe songs have been removed from streaming platforms.Article contentCall for MacLeod’s removal as MLAArticle contentIn a statement Friday, Adsum for Woman and Children, a Halifax organization providing emergency housing for victims of domestic violence, said there is no excuse for the content. Article contentThey emphasized that the songs were written and published when MacLeod was an adult, not a teenager, and that there isn’t a place for “the ‘boys will be boys’ idiom.”Article content“Regardless of age, holding these beliefs and disseminating this type of content should disqualify an individual from a public office,” the statement said.Article contentAdsum also cited the Mass Casualty Commission’s conclusion that gender-based violence is an epidemic that requires a response from the province.Article content“We cannot accept that MacLeod, who as an adult wrote, recorded and released explicit songs featuring drug abuse . . . and demeaning, violent and misogynistic language, be excused by his alleged youth.”
Nova Scotia energy minister apologizes for misogynistic song lyrics, but critics say apology isnt enough



